Read the text and anwer the quetions
The English are very particular about their meals. The usual meals in England are breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner.
Breakfast time is between seven and nine a.m. A traditional English breakfast is a very big meal. It consists of juice, porridge, bacon and eggs, toast, butter, jam or marmalade, tea or coffee. Many people like to begin with porridge with milk or cream and sugar, but no good Scotsman ever puts sugar on it, because Scotland is the home of porridge. For a change you can have sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, cold ham or perhaps fish.
The two main meals of the day are lunch and dinner. Lunch is usually taken at one o'clock. For many people lunch is a quick meal. Office workers usually go to a cafe at this time. School children can have a hot meal at school. Some of them just bring a snack from home.
Tea is very popular among the English; it may almost be called their national drink. Tea is welcome in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening. The English like it strong and fresh made.
On Sundays many families have a traditional lunch consisting of roast chicken, lamb or beef with salads, vegetables and gravy.
The British enjoy tasting delicious food from other countries, for example, French, Italian, Indian and Chinese food. Modern people are so busy that they do not have a lot of time for cooking themselves. So, the British buy the food at the restaurant and bring it home already prepared to eat. So we can conclude that take-away meals are rather popular among the population. Eating has become rather international in Britain lately.
1. Lunch is usually taken at … o`clock.
2. … can be called English traditional drink.
3. … is a home for porridge.
4. …. is very popular among the population.
5. Choose the TRUE sentences
1. English usually have breakfast at 9 o`clock.
2. People in England like to drink tea in each part of the day.
3. Pupils have their lunch at school.
4. The British never buy food at the restaurants.
Answer the questions
6. What are the two main meals for the British?
7. Where do office workers have their lunch?
8. How do English people like to have their tea?
9. Why do British buy food at the restaurant?
для контролю знань і залучення учнів
до активної роботи у класі та вдома