Read the text.
Georgian cooking has something in common with other regional cuisines but is on the whole unmistakably distinctive. The ingredients are usually very fresh (different dishes are cooked in different seasons), and the recipes elaborate. Many dishes involve grated walnuts, garlic, and a range of herbs and spices. West Georgian cooking in particular can be quite hot, as it employs the use of a lot of chili.
Georgian cuisine is good news for vegetarians, as there are many delicious vegetarian specialties such as lobio (red or green beans with herbs and spices), pkhali (a spinach or beetroot paste with walnuts and garlic), aubergines, mushrooms and salad. The table is usually covered with a great variety of dishes, some meat, some vegetable, from which you can take your choice.
Fish is not eaten much, but there are many excellent meat dishes. There are mouthwatering combinations such as lamb with tarragon and wild plums, chicken with tomatoes and herbs, lamb stew with aubergines, and tomatoes and turkey or chicken eaten cold in a walnut sauce. Other tasty sauces include the wild plum tkemali and the hot chili ajika.
Georgians generally like their food salty, and many people would say that some of their cheeses suffer from this, though sulguni and gudis kveli, two of the more famous types, deserve their reputation. The Georgian variety of yoghurt, matsoni, is very good.
Dessert usually means cakes, typically laden with cream and sugar, and fruit, which the country has in great abundance. In the autumn in eastern Georgia, churchkhela is made by coating strings of nuts in wine juice and flour.
People eat at any time of the day, and often the food dished up for breakfast may be similar to what you get at dinner (including the wine or vodka if you are a house guest). However, the most typical breakfast fare is bread with cheese, omelettes, honey and jam.
Elaborate – складний, з багатьма компонентами; старанно розроблений
Aubergine – баклажан
TASK I. Decide if these statements are true or false. (4 points)
1. Georgian cooking has nothing in common with other regional cuisines.
2. West Georgian cooking in particular can be quite bitter.
3. There are many excellent fish dishes in Georgian cuisine.
4. People eat at any time of the day.
5. Some of Georgian cheeses suffer from too much salt.
6. Lobio is a dish with red or green beans with herbs and spices.
7. Many dishes involve grated walnuts, onion, and a range of herbs and spices.
8. The Georgian variety of yoghurt, matsoni, is very good.
9. Dessert usually means biscuits, typically laden with cream and sugar, and fruit.
10. Some tasty sauces include the wild plum tkemali and the hot chili ajika.
TASK II. Choose the answer which you think fits best according to the text. (4 points)
1. Georgian cooking is characterized as:
2. The Georgian diet is characterized as:
3. Georgian cheeses are sometimes criticized as being too:
4. Fruit is characterized as being:
6. The use of chili in many dishes makes them taste:
7. What is not there in vegetarian dishes:
8. Wild plums are an ingredient in:
9. Meal times among Georgians:
10. The most typical breakfast includes:
III. Work with the questions.
1. Can you tell me ___________________?
Are there many delicious vegetarian specialties in Georgian cuisine?
4. What is the table usually covered _____? - A great variety of dishes, some meat, some vegetable, from which you can take your choice.
для контролю знань і залучення учнів
до активної роботи у класі та вдома