The Loose Button
Simon wore a pair of blue shorts around the house. They were old, faded, and ugly, but they were comfortable. In addition, when you are at home, you want to be comfortable. It would not be called "Home, Sweet Home" if you did not feel comfortable there. However, when he put on his blue shorts one morning, the button was just hanging on by a thread. That single button was the only thing that held his shorts up. Simon could do two things. He could wait until the button fell off. When that happened, it would probably roll under the sofa and be lost forever. Or, he could sew the button on securely before it fell off. He found his sewing kit. He threaded the needle and tied a knot at the end of the thread. Then he pushed the needle through the cloth. He directed it through one of the holes in the button. Then he reversed direction. He put the needle back through a different hole, and then through the cloth again. He repeated this motion through all four buttonholes until the button was tight. Then he tied a bunch of knots in the last bit of thread and cut off the excess thread. He put on the shorts and buttoned the button. It was strong. Good for another ten years, he smiled to himself.
1. Around the house Simon wore ...
2. The shorts were old, faded, and ugly
3. The person is not at home if he did not
4. When the boy put on his shorts one morning, the button was just hanging on
5. That single button could
6. The boy decided to find his
7. At first the boy
8. He repeated the motion through ...... until the button was tight
9. After Simon cut off the excess thread he
10. The boy was ... with his deeds
для контролю знань і залучення учнів
до активної роботи у класі та вдома