Тема: English is a language of international communication
1. Replace the words in bold type with personal pronouns:
1. The teacher is helping the students to translate the article. 2. Mother will send Mary to buy the tickets. 3. The man gave the books to the boy. 4. My friend is going to write a letter to his sister today. 5. This book is not suitable for young children. 6. Helen worked hard at history.
2. Choose the correct form:
10. I know (she, her) and her sister very well.
3. Read and translate the text:
The English Language
“Do you speak English?” with this phrase begins the conversation between two people that speak different languages and want to find a common language.
It’s very good when you hear, “Yes, I do”, and start talking. People of different countries and nations have to get along well with the progress in world trade and technology as well as each other.
So it is very useful to learn foreign languages. Knowledge of foreign languages helps us to develop friendship and understanding among people.
English is very popular now. It’s the language of computers science, business, sport and politics. It’s spoken all over the world. It is the official language of the United Kingdom, Ireland, the United States of America, Canada and Australia. There are more than 1 billion speakers of English in the world.
Speaking a foreign language you can read, magazines and original books by great writers, watch satellite TV Programs. If you like traveling you сan go anywhere without being afraid that other people will not understand you. English is very important to find a good job.
4. Answer the questions:
1. Do you like to speak English?
2. How many years did you study English?
3. Is it useful to learn foreign language?
4. Is English the official language in the USA?
5. Does English help you make friends?
5. Write ten sentences about the role of English in your life.