Lesson PLANNING 30
Topic « Olympic Games».
to encourage sts to speak English
to develop skills of reading /speaking / listening
to check how well STDS learned the forms of irregular verbs
to review the rules of The Present Perfect / The Past Simple Tenses
to provide the opportunities for the comprehensive listening
to provide the opportunities for STDS’ relaxation
I. Introductory part a) Т: Good morning, dear pupils! At the previous lesson we talked about champions . We all agree that it is a hard job to become a champion. But sports are not only trainings and hours of hard practice. They give people a lot of joy and happiness that’s why I feel like starting my lesson with this poem I hope you’ll help me to find the right title to it.
a) Reading a poem( written on the blackboard) :
When all the days are hot and long I’ve learned to dive and I can float
And robin bird has stopped his song As easily as does a boat;
I go swimming every day I splash and plunge and laugh and shout
And have the finest kind of play. Till Mummy tells me to come out.
b) Let’s search the sentences composed with the help of The Present Perfect Tense. Why can’t I say that The Present Perfect Tense is used in the following lines :
I go swimming every day
And have the finest kind of play.
1. Grammar Practice a)Brush Up Your Grammar Т: let’s deal with a grammar point today. Open your books on pages 166-167, and find the difference in the tenses usage: The Present Perfect Tense and The Past Simple Tense.
b) A language Work (Т distributes the HOs)
1) name the tense ( Present Perfect/ Past Simple)
1. Pupils have prepared many surprises.2. Did you listen to the last news yesterday? 3.He has never been to the show.
2) choose the appropriate tense ( Present Perfect / Past simple)
1)Why are you sad today? What ( has happened/happened) ? – I (have broken/ broke) my new camera.2) He ( have had/had) his birthday last Tuesday. 3)When I was in Lvov I ( have taken / took) many photos.
3) say the forms of the irregular verbs.
........ caught ......... hold, held ...... ......hit, hit ....... won ........
lose.......lost speak ........ spoke find .......... found throw , threw ..........
a text about the history of Olympic Games . Before listening talk on the following items of ex.1,p. 52.
2.Listening Comprehension a) Pre-Listening Activity. Т: You are going to listen to a text about the history of Olympic Games . Before listening talk on the following items of ex.1,p. 52.Open your books on page 52, please.
The first Games were in Olympia in Greece in 776 B. C. There was one race and the prize was a red apple. Women didn’t run in the Games. Next times there were more races, for example, horse races.
Now the Olympic Games are held every 4 year in different countries. There are 3 prizes for each event a gold medal, a silver medal and a bronze medal. Every new Olympic Games have new sports.
Today you can watch athletics, boxing , cycling, basketball, football, gymnastics, swimming and many other sports.
Ski jumping, skiing , skating are also events in the winter Olympic Games.
The Olympic Flag has 5 coloured rings. The colours are blue, yellow, back, green and red on the white, because every country in the world has one of these colours in its flag. So, the Olympic Flag means the countries of friends.
b) While - Listening: Put the first sentences of paragraphs in the right order: a) The first Games were in Olympia in Greece in 776 B. C. b) Today you can watch athletics, boxing , cycling, basketball, football, gymnastics, swimming and many other sports.c) Ski jumping, skiing , skating are also events in the winter Olympic Games. d)The Olympic Flag has 5 coloured rings.
c) Checking Comprehension : ex.1 (b), p.52. You all enjoy a TV intellectual Quiz with Tina Kandelaki “ The cleverest ones”. What about having such a TV intellectual Quiz at our today’s lesson? Who wants to be a TV presenter? the participants ? Two people will be in our jury : they’ll prepare 3 additional tasks more.
d )Post- Listening: Speak on the history of Olympic Games using these sentences.
1) The ....... were in Olympia in ...... in 776 B. C. 2)There was one race and the prize was ...... 3)Women didn’t run .......4) Now the ..... are held every ....year in different ....... 5)There are 3 ..... for each event a ... medal, a ...... and a bronze ....... 6) Every new Olympic Games have new sports.7) Today you can watch ......... 8) Ski jumping, ...,...... are also ...... in the winter Olympic Games. 9)The Olympic Flag has 5 coloured rings. 10)So, the Olympic Flag ...... the countries of friends.
3. A Minute for rest: Listen and learn the poem ex.4,p. 53.
4. Check on home assignment WB ex. 2,p.30. Т: Meet Boris at our lesson. Ask the boy your questions about his favourite sport.
5. A Short Grammar Test :
1) name the tense ( Present Perfect/ Past Simple)
1. Over 300 people have enjoyed the festival. 2. All the students have worked well. 3. We wrote a letter to our Chinese pen-friend last week
3) choose the appropriate tense ( Present Perfect / Past simple)
1) Do you want to have dinner with me? Thanks, I ( have had/ had ) already my dinner.2) Hello, Jack! Where were you in August ? – I ( have gone/ went) to my Granny, to the country. 3)Can I speak to Roman now? Sorry, but he (has not come/ came ) from school yet. 4) Hurray!!! My friend is a winner. He ( has won/ won ) his last race on Monday.
4) give the forms of the irregular verbs.
break ...... broken take took ....... win won ......... throw .......
... ....... caught ........found ....... ......... spoke spoken win ....... .........
III.Summing –up: Dear children, we have done well today. At home you’ll prepare reports on the topic “Why do we call the British a sporting nation?” The following exercises will be helpful to you STBook ex.3,p.53. WB ex. 1,p.31.