Families are people
Who care about you My family is special Your family is too!
Mothers and fathers,
And sisters and brothers, Grandmas and grandpas, And so many others.
One family is big
While another is small.
Some families have children, And some, none at all!
When we are together,
Or far, far apart
The people I love
Fill the map of my heart!
A family poem
Our family comes
From many homes,
Our hair is straight,
Our hair is brown, Our hair is curled,
Our eyes are blue,
Our skins are different Colours, too.
We're girls and boys,
We're young and old, We're short and tall.
That we can be And still we are A family.
We laugh and cry,
We work and play, We help each other Every day.
The world's a lovely
Place to be
Because we are A family!
A farmer works his fields. A farmer works his fields.
Hi, Ho, the derry-o,
A farmer works his fields.
A dentist cleans our teeth. A teacher works at school.
A barber cuts our hair. A waiter serves us food.
Teacher, teacher, what do you do?
I teach reading and writing, too.
Doctor, doctor, what do you do?
I help when you are sick with a cold or the flu.
Firefighter, firefighter, what do you do?
I help fight fires that might hurt you.
Officer, officer, what do you do?
I help you stay safe in all that you do.
My doctor helps me
My doctor helps me when I'm sick Oh how nice he is ! Sometimes I need medicine So I'll get better fast!
He takes my temperature,
Looks in my mouth, Checks my ears,
And hears my heart.
My doctor helps me when I'm sick Oh how nice he is!
Five police officers
Five police officers standing by a door. One became a traffic cop ; then there were four.
Four police officers watching over me. One took home a lost boy; and then there were three.
Three police officers dressed all in blue.
One stopped a speeding car, and then there were two.
Two police officers --- how fast they run!
One caught a bad man, and then there was one.
One police officer saw smoke faraway. He called the firehouse, and the fireperson saved the day.
May your holidays
Be happy days,
Filled with love
And laughter. And may each day
Bring joy your
In the year
That follows after!
My Christmas tree
O Christmas tree I love you so!
High and low
With bobbles all around
And bells that I found.
Wrapped so tidy and neat
A star on top
That I got in the Christmas shop
O Christmas tree I love you so!
An apple a day
An apple a day , Keeps the doctor away. Apple in the morning, Doctor's warning.
Roast apple at night. ,
Starves the doctor outright.
Eat an apple going to bed,
Knock the doctor on the head.
Lighting up December nights
Red and yellow
Orange and blue
Making such a lovely view.
Lighting up December nights.
Christmas is a time ofjoy,
A time for love and cheer, A time for making memories, To last throughout the year.
Pop, pop, popcorn,
Popping in the pot! Pop, pop, popcorn, Eat it while it's hot!
Pop, pop, popcorn, butter on the top !
When I eat popcorn, I can't stop!
American TV Families
Complete the sentences with the words below:
Fireman, a cook, drives, animals, a police officer, she, gets up, a uniform, helps, a kitchen, people, a stadium, a nurse, he, wears, a wet, a fire station, an animal hospital, helps, wears, a uniform, hospital, football, he, she, a footballer, wears, a fire engine.
Text 1. Aren't firefighters cool?
Yesterday I was playing videogames in my room when I heard people screaming. I went out and saw: my neighbors' house was on fire!
In less than 10 minutes the firemen arrived and fought against the fire for one hour until they made it. wow!
They are really brave l One of them entered the house and saved the Johnson's dog that was trapped in the fire.
I made a decision: I want to be a fireman when I grow up. I'll be strong and brave enough to fight against the fire, to save people's lives and property. I can't wait! I can already see it in the newspaper: "Brave fireman rescues a family of four". Mom will be really proud.
A: Mark true (T) or false (F). When it's false, you'll have to justify your answer orally:
The boy thinks the firemen are brave. ( )
He admires the firefighters. ( )
It took long the firemen to arrive. ( )
It took one hour to extinguish the fire. ( )
The boy's neighbours have a pet. ( )
A fireman saved the dog's life. ( )
The boy wants to be a firefighter when he grows up.( ) He wants to be as strong and brave as the firefighters. ( )
B: Answer the questions:
1.What was the boy doing when the neighbours' house caught fire?
2.Did he want to be a fireman before that day?
3.Why did he decide to be a fireman in the future?
4.What qualities does he think are essential for being a fireman?
5.What can he already see in the newspaper?
6.Who do you think the newspaper is referring to?
2, My breakfast
Hi! I'm Peter Swanton and I live in Newcastle with my parents and our lovely cat Pussy. We live in a very big flat on the second floor.
My room is not very big but it is very comfortable for me. I like to spend my time here playing computer games or reading books.
I like a lot of things but I don't like mornings. I don't like to get very early in the morning. It is difficult for me. But let me tell you one story.
One morning my mum called me for breakfast. I was rather sleepy but I took a quick shower, combed my hair and appeared in the kitchen. The table was already laid and I saw that awful porridge cooked for me. I hated that porridge! I couldn't eat it at all. I ate the fruit salad, drank a glass of milk but I didn't want to eat that porridge.
When my mum went out of the kitchen I quickly opened the window and threw the porridge out of the window. When my mum returned she saw that there was no porridge on my plate. She was pleased and I was happy.
Suddenly somebody knocked at the door. When my mum opened the door she saw a woman with that porridge on her head! My mum understood everything. She apologized and helped that woman to clean her hair. I was awfully ashamed. Of course, my mum punished me. But now I eat this porridge without any words.
Choose True (T) or False (F)statements:
2. Peter lives in Newcastle.
3. He lives on the third floor.
4. His room is very big.
5. He likes to play with his cat.
5. He likes to read books.
6. Peter hates mornings.
7. He could eat porridge.
8. He threw the porridge out of the window.
9.Peter was punished.
Answer the questions:
l . What is the boy's name?
2. Who does he live with?
3. What city does he live?
4. Does he live in a big flat?
5. What does he like to do in his room?
6. Does he like mornings?
7. What does he like to eat?
8. What does he hate to eat?
9. Where did he throw porridge?
10.Why was Peter punished?
3,My lovely family
Hello! My name is Ana.
I am eight years old and I am from the USA. I'm going to introduce you to my lovely family. It is quite big and we are very happy.
My mother's name is Laura and my father's is
Peter. My mother has got blond hair and she is very tender. My father is tall and slim and he is a funny person.
My parents have got three children. There's my brother Tim, my baby brother David and me. Tim is a sweet boy who loves playing and being with me all the time. He is only three years old so he attends the kindergarten. My younger brother, David, is a seven-month baby but he is full of personality.
My father has got a sister. Her name is Olivia and she is my aunt. My mother has got two brothers. Their names are Richard and William and they are my uncles.
I have also got my grandparents and my cousins Jacob, Kevin and Chloe. We have got a pet called Pirate, he is my favourite dog! I love my family and my pet.
Kids and their favourite food
My favourite food is pizza. I can make pizza.
- My dad says my pizzas are very good. I don't like cheese. So there's no cheese on my pizzas. When we go to a restaurant I always order chicken with chips and an ice cream. My favourite flavour is strawberry. We like drinking coke. When we have a party we have lots of coke.
1. Who doesn't like vegetables? -William
2.Brenda can make good
3. What's Jack's favourite food? -Burgers -Fish.
4.What has Sue got in her garden? -Beans
1 don't like vegetables. Mum always tell me to eat carrots. She says they are good for me. But 1 hate them. I only eat potatoes. Potatoes are my favourite. I like them as chips or as crisp. I often eat crisps at school. I drink a lot of milk, but I don't like juice or coke. But I can't drink milk with hamburgers or chicken. So I drink water too.
5. Brenda likes ice cream with Flavour -Chocolate
6.What are Sue's favourite sweets? -Doughnuts
I like burgers: hamburgers, doubleburgers, cheeseburgers, fishburgers. And I like sausages with chips. Mum often makes spaghetti. I like that. What I don't like is carrots. I really hate them. And my favourite drink? Well, I like juice, coke and water. William
7. What does Sue like on her I pizza? -Tomatoes.
8.What does William hate?
9. Where does Jack often eat crisps?
In the park
In the cinema.
I like tomatoes and peas. My mum says they are good for me. I always have tomatoes on my pizza. We have peas in our garden. Mum and I like the fresh peas from the garden.
I don't eat chicken or fish. I think it's not right to eat animals. My favourite sweets are doughnuts.
10. Who likes drinking coke?
-Sue and Jack
Benda and illiam
Write about your favourite food
I like and
My mum says
At school I often eat
I don't like and
My favourite drink is
Wt')jch am I?
Which food am I ?
. You need me to make a sandwich or toast.
2. We are a small round red fruit. We grow on trees.
3. Eat us fried, boiled or scrambled.
4. I'm white and I make your coffee sweet.
5. I'm a popular fast food with a sausage in the middle.
6. I'm yellow and people like me on their pizza.
7. We are made from potatoes and taste great with ketchup.
8. We are a very small round green vegetable.
9. Children like me with their cereals. Cats just love me.
10. I'm a black hot drink.
I l. Rabbits just love this vegetable.
12. I'm a long yellow fruit.
13. I'm yellow and sweet. People sometimes put me in their tea.
14.1 am a round fruit. I am usually green or red.
15. We are a small fruit and can be used to make wine.
16. I'm cold and sweet. I am especially eaten in summer.
17. I am a juicy tropical fruit. I have sweet yellow flesh.
18.1'm a delicious fried, grilled or roasted meat.
Christmas Vocabulary Quiz
Choose the correct answer
I . We usually have at Christmas.
2.bring us a lot of presents.
3.Santa Claus comes to us on his
4. We also put a beautiful in our house.
5. We always decorate the Christmas tree with
a)candles and sweets
b)nuts and candles
c)lights and balls.
6. We always put our on the fireplace.
7. We also decorate our house with branches of
8. Rudolph is the name of Santa's favourite
9. Our parents put a lot ofunder the Christmas tree.
10. Our parents always hangon the door.
a) a portrait
b)a wall paper
I I . We light the in our house.
12. Children often build in the street.
b)snowflakes ac) snowman
Christmas Eve, 24th December
On this day Dad puts up the Christmas tree and decorates it. We help and hang silver stars and chocolate figures on the tree.
Mum goes shopping. The shops o are open all day and night, so that people can buy presents or food for the evening and the next days. Mum buys a big turkey for the Christmas dinner.
Christmas cards hang in the living room. In
Great Britain people always send Christmas cards to family and friends. We have balloons and paper chains in the living room, too. It is like a birthday party!
But that's not all! Dad hangs a mistletoe on the door and whenever two people meet under the mistletoe they have to kiss! Carol singers go from house to house and sing songs. They get a little money.
A: Match the words:
a) the chimney
e) Christmas card
We say Christmas Eve to the 24th December. "Eve" is the short form of evening. You don't get your Christmas present on Christmas Eve like in Germany.
But we have a party!
We sing and dance and play games. It's so funny!
Before we sleep we hang a big stocking on the mantelpiece. At night Santa comes with his sleigh and his reindeer. His favourite reindeer is Rudolph. They stop at the houses and Santa comes in through the chimney!
Then he goes to the Christmas tree and puts the presents under it and into the stockings.
B: Answer the questions:
1.What does Dad do on Christmas Eve?
2.What can people buy?
3.What do people have in the living room?
4.Where do carol singers go?
5.What do we hang on the mantelpiece?
6.What's the name of Santa's reindeer?
7.Where does Santa put presents?
On October 3 1, Americans celebrate Halloween.
Halloween means "holy" (hollow) "evening" (een). This is the evening before the
Christian holy day of All Saints Day. On All Saints Day,
Christians remember the Saints but Halloween is even older than Christianity.
Before Christi nlty, people in Europe believed that on October 31 ghosts of dead people came back. To scare the ghosts, people dressed like devils and were very noisy. They also made big fires to keep the ghosts away, later, people did not believe in ghosts, but they kept the day of Halloween for fun.
Immigrants came from Europe to America and brought with them the custom of Halloween. Halloween has some strange symbols. One symbol is the jack-o'-lantern in the window. The jack-o'-lantern is to scare the ghosts. People cut the pumpkin, throw away all of the inside, and cut a face in it. Then they put a candle inside of it. Jack-o'-lantern usually look scary, too.
Today, in the United States, Halloween is very popular with the children.
They wea asks and special costumes. They want to look like skeletons and ghosts.
Then th go om house to house and say " Trick or treat!" People give them candies, es or fruit. When people give nothing, the children sometimes
play tricks on them.
Write T (true) or F (false).
1. On October 31, Americans celebrate Christianity.
2. In the past people made fires to keep the ghosts away.
3. Halloween came from Europe.
4. The jack-o'-lantern is a kind of special pumpkin to eat.
5.0n Halloween children wear spec ial masks and costumes because they want to look like skeletons and ghosts.
6.Children go from party to party and collect masks.
7.0n Halloween children say: "Trick or fun".
Answer the questions:
I.When do people celebrate Halloween?
2.Why do people dress like devils?
3.Why do people keep the day like Halloween?
4.What do people put inside the pumpkin
with the cutting face?
5.Where do they put the 'jack-olantern'?
6. Why do they use the lantern?
7.What do people give the children when they go from house to house?
A: Fill in the blanks with is or are
1 .Kate cooking
a turkey for dinner.
2.Mom setting the
3. John making coffee.
4. The boys watching TV.
5.1t snowing outside.
6. The baby laughing.
7.The girls painting Easter eggs.
8.we eating turkey.
9.The dog barking.
B: Write the verbs in Present Simple
1. Martin (wash) his car every Friday.
2. Daniel always (run) in the marathon.
3. Martha (not laugh) with my jokes.
4.Lorena often (wear) sunglasses.
5. The baby often (sleep) in the afternoon.
6. William (not tidy) his bedroom.
7. Leonor (help) her father in the shop. 8.We sometimes (eat) fish and chips.
9.Patricia (not understand) English.
10.Miriam (dust) the furniture.
11. That woman (go) shopping on Mondays.
12.Ralph (have) a nap after lunch.
13.My granddad (smoke) a pipe.
14.You (watch) television in the pub.
15. These men (repair) my windows.
C: Write the verbs in Present Continuous
I .Look! The bus (come).
2 .Julia (teach) Spanish this term. 3 .Carol (study) French right now.
4.The kids (sing) a song.
5.We (not surf) in the web.
6 . Tina (wear) a black dress.
7 .My brothers (sit) on a bench.
8 .Barbara (go) to school.
9 .Christine (travel) by plane.
10 . Those cats_(play) with a ball.
11. That bird (fly)very high.
12 . The mechanic (mend) the cars.
D: Choose the correct option:
1. The doctor in the local hospital now.
a) works b) is working
2. Michael shopping with his father on Saturdays.
a) goes b) is going
3. Roberto (catch) the bus in the morning.
a) catches b) is catching
4. The girl often (drink) milk for breakfast.
a) drinks b) is drinking
5.1t's 9.00pm and my family dinner.
a) has b) is having
6. Claire her lessons at 2.15pm
a) is finishing b) finishes
A: Write the verbs in Present Simple or Continuous
l . Katherine (work) in the farm in summer.
2.John often (go) to bed late on Saturdays.
3. Alan usually (brush) his teeth.
4. They (run) to catch the bus now.
5. Sarah (hate) eating soup. 6. My cousin (live)in San Francisco at the moment.
7. Some teachers (correct) the exams right now.
8. Lucia sometimes (participate) in the festival.
9. The photographer always (take) nice photos.
10. Lucas (direct) the new film now.
B: Make a question
Fill in the blank with "be" and
3. the girls ? (eat)
4. it ? (rain)
5. they Easter eggs?(make)
7. the dog?(bark)
10. Kate and John?(sleep)
C: Write the verbs in Present Continuous (make negative and interrogative sentences)
I .My sister (do) some housework.
2.At the moment it (snow).
3.My mother (bake) biscuits. 4. The Harrison family (enjoy) the football match.
5.Alice (prepare) the party.
6. We (break) anything.
7.Tom and Anne (play) the guitar.
8.My neighbour (plant) some trees.
A: Correct the sentences:
Ex: Who do you met on
Saturday morning? X
Who did you meet on Saturday morning?
1. Did he went to school yesterday?
2. Why did you to go home early? X
3. Where you did learn English? X
4. Did she works today? X
5. What do you this yesterday? X
6. Did they last night phone you? X
B: Choose the best one.
1 .George didn't wanted / didn't want to be a doctor.
2.Did you help / You did help your mother?
3.We did not understand / didn't understood you.
4.Did he paint / He painted the fences?
5.1 did finish / didn't finish my homework.
6 Did she called / She didn't call me 7. The gardener water didn't / didn't water the flowers.
8. The students did solve / Did students solve the questions?
9.Wilma did not go / did go shopping.
10. You did wear / Did you wear a coat?
C: Fill in the blanks (use Past Simple) I. Geoffrey
(not - cut) the grass. 2.(you - watch) the news? Yes, I
3.(she - clean) the house? No, she
4.My mother(not - wash) the dishes.
5.Unc1e Sam(not-drive) to work.
6. (Ashley - perform) well?
Yes , she
7. (they - study) hard? Yes, they
(not - play) computer games.
D: Write the uestions in t order
1. film? / like / you / Did / t
2. you / many / did / ask? / How / people
3. a / have / time? / they / Did / good
4. did / weekend? / the / What / do / we / at
5. she / DVD? / Where / that / did / buy
Countable and Uncountable
Put the words into these two jars:
A: Write the words in the correct form:
1. There are three(apple) on the plate.
2.1'd like to taste these(cookie).
3. Would you like these(orange)?
4. This (cheese) is too salty.
5.How much (water) is there in the bottle?
6.1 usually drink(milk) in the morning.
7.Do you like (cucumber)?
8.How much (money) have you got?
9. This (meat) isn't fresh.
10. There are many (tomato) in this salad.
11.1 don't eat (butter) at all.
12. This (coffee) is awful. 13.How many (banana) would you like?
14. Her(dress) are beautiful.
15.Put some (salt) into your soup.
B: Correct the mistakes:
1. These carrot are sweet.
2.1 don't like teas at all.
3. I'd like to cut some pear for this salad.
4.There is much waters in this jar.
5.How many sandwich have you bought?
6 .You can take four potato from the basket
7.Do you eat meats?
8. There is much rices in this dish.
9.Where is breads?
10. These berry are very sweet.
I I . There are four chair round the table.
12. These vegetable are green.
1. Egg 2 Milk 3. Tomato 4. Fish 5. Fruit 6. Flower 7.Bread 8. Snow
9. Cake 10 Apple 11. Juice 12. Dress 13. Lemon 14 Butter 15. Salt 16. Meat
17. Rice 18. Potato 19. Carrot 20 Crapes 21. Oil 22. Cucumber 23. Sugar
24. Onion 25. Garlic 26. Plum 27. Coffee 28. Tea 29.Cheese 30. Cup
31. Salad 32. Berry 33. Chocolate 34. Money 35.0range 36. Cherry
37.Sandwich 38. Cream 39. Chip 40. Water 41 Cookie 42.Banana
43. Pear 44. Chair 45. Sheep 46. Food
A: Countable ri ht column
or uncountable Tick the
Much or many
B: Fill the blank spaces with much or manv
1 .How potatoes did you buy?
2.How does the dress cost?
3.How vinegar did they buy?
4.How cars has she got?
5.How times have you been there?
6.How sugar do you need?
7 .How children do they have?
8.How hours do you usually sleep?
"How—people went to the concert?
10.How cups of coffee do you drink?
1 1 .How cheese have you got?
12.How_potatoes shall I peel?
13 .How days does a leap year have?
14.How is a kilo of tomatoes?
15 .How chairs are there
in your room?
C: Ask questions using how much or how many
I .1 have a lot of books.
2. Yes, there were lots of children.
3 .No, they have a little money.
4.There are ten bottles in the fridge.
5.No, there isn't much water in the bottle.
D: Chose the correct one
I .1 haven't got much-many biscuits in my lunchbox.
2. We haven't got much-many rice in the box.
3.She hasn't got much-many money to buy this dress.
4. How much-many homework do you have.
5.1s there much-many information about the project?
6.1 have got much-many flowers .
Preposition of time at , in , on
Write the correct preposition.
July the evening lunchtime
2007 15th May my birthday the future the same time
Sundays the weekend two months
Christmas Day the age of five
Complete the sentences with the correct preposition.
l. I always getup... 7 0'clock. .... weekdays and.. ...90'clock... .the weekends.
2.Both my little brother and I were born... ..the same month. His birthday is 20th April and I was
3 . . ... the moment we are practicing prepositions of
4. In England it often rains . . ...spring.
5. My father is a doctor and he sometimes works night.
6. Our neighbours moved in next door 1998.
7. My grandma started learning English the age of
8 . . . . . . the past people didn't travel so much.
9.James proposed to Linda sunset. It was very romantic.
10.We usually go rollerblading.. .. Saturday morning.
I I .Brenda has lunch noon.
12.1 go to school the morning.
13.1 do my homework the afternoon.
14. We have Maths Tuesdays.
Write at/ on/ in
. ..the afternoon
. .. Friday
. . .. Christmas
. ...Christmas Day
. . .. Saturday night
. ...the past
. . ..autumn
10 . . Thursday
11 . . the weekend
12 . dinnertime
13 . . the ninth of April
14 . . half past eight
15 . . Monday evening
16 . . the end of the year
17 ..28 October
18 . . an hour
19 . . Easter
20 . .New Year's Day
21 .10. 15am
22 . . five minutes
23 . . bedtime
24 . .a few days
25 . . sunrise
26 . . the next century
27 . . the future
28 . . my birthday
29 . . Independence Day
2.1'm meeting my friend Tuesday. 3. The train leaves half past seven he morning.
4. She was born 1995.
5. I usually phone my friends weekend.
6. We have a special meal
7. I usually brush my teeth
. the evening
before I go to bed.
8. Her birthday is the fifth of June.
9. My brother likes to get up sunrise. 10. I started doing my homework eight o'clock and finished only . . midnight.
11. In France it often snows winter.
12. Kate got married the age of 19.
13 .Policemen usually work night.
14.0ur parents will be back . an hour.
15. I usually have a party my birthday.
16. See you dinnertime.
17. Mary's birthday is May.
18. We have lunch
19. Sara goes to the gym Saturdays.
20. My sister was in London December. 21. She was in Spain Year's Eve. 22. We sat and talked lunchtime