Books are our friends
Equipment: a computer, cards with proverbs, video about library.
Т: Good morning everyone. I'm glad to see you. How are you getting?
P: Good morning teacher. We are glad to see you to. We are fine thank you.
2.STATING THE AIM AND THE TASKS OF THE LESSON
T: Read the riddle and predict the topic of our today's lesson.
We have friends. They can not walk and can not see.
But they are very good to you and me.
With this friends -we sai[
on ship and ride on trains
and even fly in airplanes.
This friends show us towns, seas and lands.
Сaп you guess -who are these good friends?
T: Books. You are right. The book is the main source of knowledge. Today we are
going to speak about the role of books in our life, about the books we read and
places we can take the books from. You will see the projects of some pupils, watch
video material. I hope you'll be energetic and active.
T: Now I want to listen to you ideas that are you waiting from our lesson. Say what
would you like to know or to do during our lesson. At the end of the lesson we'll see if you hopes have realized.
3.WARMING UP ACTIVITIES
T: Now you have to match to beginning of some proverbs that are on the blackboard with the ending that you have on you desks.
1. Books are___________our best friends.
2. A good books is___________a source of knowledge.
3. Reading is to the mind___________what exercise is to the body.
4. Wear the old coat______________and buy a new book.
5. The more you read___________the more you know.
6. Choose a book__________ as you choose a friend.
4. LANGUAGE BOX
1. Revision of the communicative formulas.
l'm fond of reading...
I'm interested in reading...
2. Work with idioms.
A bookworm - someone who read a lot
To crack a book - to open a book in order to study
A closed book - something that you don't know or understand at all
To have your nose in a book - to be reading
By the book - according to the rules
In one's book - in one's opinion
To know like a book - to know well or fully
A book freak - extremely interested in books
T: Read the sentences and translate
1. One of my hobby is reading. I am a bookworm.
2.I have the tests tomorrow but I have not cracked the book
3.1 have not idea what "metaphysics " is all about. It is a closed book to me.
4. John likes to read. Whenever he has time he has his nose in a book
5.I am a pupil and I must live by the schools book.
6. In my book everything must be all right.
7. The parents know their children like a book
8. He has a lot of books at home. He is a book freak.
T:Make up the sentences with idioms
5.PROGECT WORK, (group №1)
T: Now it's time to see the first project. Boys you are welcome, (the pupils present
Dictionaries - the book that contain a list of words in a language in the
order of the alphabet and tell you that they mean.
Textbooks - the books that teaches a particular subject and that are used at
Atlases - the books of maps. They help us to find different places of the
Cookbooks - the books that give instruction on cooking and contain
Catalogues - the lists of all the thighs that you can buy or see.
Guide books - the books that give information about a place.
Leaflets - printed pieces of paper that are given free to advertise or give
information about something.
T. Look at these types of books and say which of these books you need if you want to:
Cookbook, guide books, dictionary, catalogue, atlas.
1. to find a holiday destination.
2. to find interesting recipe.
3. to translate the text.
4. to choose something to buy.
5. to find the situation of some places.
T: Answer my questions. You have to give short answers. Don't forget what auxilary verb we have at the beginning of the question that verb you must use in your answers.
1. Do you like reading?
2. Is уоur mother fond of reading detective stories?
3. Did you read fairy-tales in your child hood?
4. Does your friend read for pleasure?
5. Can you read quickly?
6. Are you a bookworm?
7. Have you read Robinson Crusoe?
10. "Does your friends like to read love stories?
11. Are you a bookfreak?
12. Will guide book help you to prepare tasty things?
7. Project work. Quiz (group №2)
T: Now it's time to see the next project, (pupils present their work)
1. He is a small boy and has a very long nose. He has a hat on. He is made of wood. Pinochio
2. She is a very nice little girl. She loves her mother and her grandmother. She has a white skirt and a red hat on. She has a basket in her hands.(Red Riding Hood)
3. She is a hard - working and Kind - hearted girl who lives with her father, stepmother and stepsisters. With the help of their fairy godmother she gets a wonderful dress and a coach. ( Cinderela)
4. He lived in the jungle. He made good friends with animals. He was honest, brave and Kind - hearted. He was curious about the world around him. ( Mawgly)
5. He is a funny bear. He likes honey very much. With his friends he always gets into different troubles. ( Winnie the Puh)
6. She is a very pretty girl. She has a round face. Her eyes are large and blue. Her hairs are long and blue. She is very Kind and good girl. Who is this girl? ( Malvina)
7. He is funny and creative boy who takes his friends to never - never Land where they have many adventures. (Harry Potter)
T: Now you'll work in groups. Each group has some episodes from texts. You task is to guess "What story are these episodes taken from?"
He behaved badly the whole week Aunt Polly decided to punish him. On Saturday all the boys were free. They could run and play in the street. But Polly asked Tom to whitewash the fence.
Suddenly a White Rabbit ran near her. She heard a little voice which said : "Oh, I shall be late." It was the Rabbit. "I didn't know that a rabbit could talk", thought Alice. Then Rabbit took a watch out of his pocket, looked at it and hurried on.
The rest of the students return for the next term.The collectible card wrapped with the sweet identifies Flamel as an alchemist. Hermione soon discovers that he is 665 years old and possesses the only known Philosopher's Stone.
8.WORK WITH VIDEO.
T: Now we'll see the video material without sound. It is the conversation in the
library. You have to guess what the heroes of conversation are talking about. You
can write in your exercise-books some phrases, sentences, questions.
T: Read your sentences, (pupils read what they have written).Now we'll see it
again with the sound.
Checking the understanding
T: Answer the questions.
1. What did monster want to do in the library?
2. Did monster understand librarian?
3.What did librarian try to explain him?
4. What library rules monster did not follow? (He made noise and wanted to eat)
T: Try to remember more librarian rulers.
Don't make noise
Don't eat in the library.
Don't speak loudly.
Don’t lose the books.
Don’t keep books for a long time.
Don’t write anything on the pages.
Don’ tear the pages.
T: Now it is time for discussion. So it’s logical that we are going to discuss the problem” READ OR NOT TO READ” I have prepared 4 colored caps. Each color represents the role you we’ll play today.
Black – you have to point negative arguments about reading.
Green – have to create new ideas of solving problems.
Yellow-you are optimists and you have positive outlook
Red- you have to illicit the feeling and emotions
11. HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS .
T: Write a story on topic “Books in our life’’
12. CLOSURE. EVALUATION. COMMENTS.