- to revise and extend basic vocabulary;
- to practise talking about our Motherland;
- to practise listening skills;
- to develop reading and speaking skills;- to deepen pupil's knowledge about the native countryIntroduction
Ukraine - is my native land.
Wherever I am,
you are with me, my Ukraine.
You are my mother that has gained
The native language of a nightingale.
3. BLITZ-QUIZFind a partner, and work in pairs.1. What is the territory of Ukraine?2. Is Ukraine a large or small country?3. Is Ukraine bigger than Germany?4. Is Ukraine smaller than France?5. How many countries does Ukraine border on?6. How many regions are there in Ukraine?7. What are the largest regions in Ukraine?8. What are the biggest cities in Ukraine?9. What are the main rivers in Ukraine?10. Is Ukraine an independent country?
4. WHERE DO PEOPLE LIVE IN UKRAINE? Group work. Fill in the gaps: Some people live in the (1) _____Where the houses are very small. Some people five in the (2) ____Where the houses are very tall. But in the country where the houses are (3) _____The gardens are very (4) _____And in the city where the houses are (5) ____There are no gardens at all. Key: 1) country; 2) city; 3) small; 4) big; 5) tall.
5. BREAK TIME ”THE MORE WE ARE TOGETHER”(A SONG)The more we are together,Together, together. The more we are together,The happier we’ll be. For your friends. Are my friends. And my friends. Are your friends. The more we are together,Together, together. The more we are together. The happier we’ll be.
6. Reading. All roads lead to Kyiv because it’s the capital Kyiv is the capital of Ukraine. Kyiv is a large and nice city. It is one of the oldest cities in Europe. Kyiv stands on the river Dnipro. It is a very green city. There are many chestnut trees and flowers there. Khreshchatyk is the main street of Kyiv. There are many monuments in this city: the monuments to Taras Shevchenko, Bohdan Khmel’nyts’kyi, Prince Volodymyr and others. There are many fine churches, museums, libraries, cinemas and theatres in Kyiv. Kyiv is the city of students because there are many universities and institutes there. Kyiv is a Hero City. Kyiv is the seat of the President and the Verkhovna Rada. The Kyivites love their city very much. Post-reading Have you ever been to Kyiv? Speak in pairs.
7. LISTENINGPre-listening. What are the most prominent events in the history of Ukraine. While-listening. Who were the cossacks?Post-listening. Multiple Choice Questions.1. Cossacks were … .a) dependent peopleb) Free people2. The main idea of Zaporizhian Cossacks was … .a) to be independentb) to work for their masters3. Cossacks called their leader … .a) tsarb) koshovyi otaman4. Ivan Sirko … .a) broke up Zaporizhian Sich b) won many victories5. Cossacks fought for … .a) independence of their native landb) Russian Empress6. Cossacks were men who loved … .a) freedom and independenceb) their masters
8. HOLIDAYS IN UKRAINEMatch the holidays to the dates and discuss your favourite holiday with your partner.1) New Year’s Day; a) 7 January;2) Christmas; b) 1 January;3) Easter; c) 28 June;4) Mother’s Day; d) 1 September;5) Victory Day; e) 24 August;6) Independence Day; f) 9 May;7) Day of Knowledge; g) the second Sunday in May;8) Constitution Day; h) March or April. Key: 1-b; 2-a; 3-h; 4-g; 5-f; 6-e; 7-d; 8-c.
SUMMING-UPWe are proud of our country. We are happy to live in Ukraine! Let us sing a song “The Ink is Black, the Page is White”. THE INK IS BLACK, THE PAGE IS WHITEThe ink is black, the page is white,Together we learn to read and write. To read and write. And now a child can understand,Ukraine is our Motherland. The board is black, the chalk is white,The words stand out so clear and bright,So clear and bright. And now at last we clearly see. Ukrainian people are Family. The child is black, the child is white,The whole world looks upon the sight,A beautiful sight. For very well the whole world knows,This is the way our Friendship grows.