Social skills. Stress in teens’ life
Outcomes: by the end of the lesson students will be able:
Ex.1 p. 9
Discuss the quotation of Stephen Colbert. Do you agree or disagree with him? Why?
1. cynic n a person who believes that people only do things to help themselves, rather than for good reasons
2. disobedience n refusal to do what you are told to do
3. pressure n the act of trying to persuade or to force smb to do smth
4. juvenile adj connected with young people who are not yet adults;
n a young person who is not yet an adult
5. delinquency n bad or criminal behaviour, usually of young people
6. to obey v to do what you are told or expected to do
7. adolescence n the time when a person develops from a child into an adult
Before listening to the text from Ex. 4 answer the questions.
1. How much are you interested in the life of British teenagers?
2. Do you have any pen friends abroad?
3. How do you communicate with them?
4. What do you usually talk about?
Listen to the text about British teenagers and say which of the following facts are not mentioned
in the text.
1. The oldest generation considers teenagers to be lazy, ridiculous and rude.
2. British teenagers spend much time doing their homework.
3. Teenagers spend all their time thinking only about hobbies.
4. Adolescence is a period of violence, aggression and disobedience.
5. Adolescence is a period of transformation, physical and emotional changes.
According to the text from Ex. 4 compare teenagers’ life in Britain with teenagers’ life in our country. In groups discuss differences and similarities of teenagers’ life. Present the results of your discussion to the
Complete the mind map “Stress in teens’ life”. Add some more words and expressions which have not been mentioned in the list given below. Present your ideas to the classmates and complete the general mind map.
Use these words and expressions:
money, relationships with parents, grandparents or brothers and sisters, problems at school, juvenile delinquency, influence of TV and music, teens’ fashion, youth subcultures, hobbies, pressure, computer,
the Internet, teens’ addiction.
Ex. 7 p.10-11
Discuss some situations according to the exercise.
Choose the most urgent problem in your life in your opinion and write a short essay expressing your
thoughts as for solving this problem.