Dear Friends! We are very glad to see you here. Today we are having a competition, an English quiz and each of you will take part in it as a member of one team or fans.
Today we are going to have a kind of intellectual game between two teams. We hope it'll be rather interesting for you and you'll have a good time. So, be attentive, listen to all the questions and try to give, the right answers. We wish you good luck and hope for your active participation. Yes, you'll have to work together to make the common decision and it's possible only when you are united, when you are real friends.
Teacher: I think the first task will be easy for you. Which word is different from the others? Find it and circle.
1. Road 5. Gallon
2. Book 6. Boss
3. Arm 7. Doctor
4. Eggs 8. Postcard
1. What does the United Kingdom consist of?
a) England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
b) England, Scotland and Wales
c) Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
d) England, Scotland and Northern Ireland
2. The name of the clock in the Clock Tower of the Houses of Parliament is …
a) Big Sam
b) Big Ned
c) Big Ben
d) Big Mac
3. What river is London situated on?
4. What are the oldest universities in Great Britain?
a) Edinburgh and London universities
b) Oxford and Cambridge universities
c) Reading and Glasgow universities
d) Harvard and Yale universities
5. From the European Continent the British Isles are separated by …
a) the North Sea and Irish Sea
b) the North Sea and the English Channel
c) the English Channel and the Atlantic Ocean
d) the Irish Sea
6. The United Kingdom is a …
a) parliamentary monarchy
b) constitutional monarchy
c) parliamentary republic
d) constitutional republic
7. The climate of Great Britain is generally …
8. Which is the most popular drink in Britain?
9. Where are the Metropolitan Police headquartered in London?
a) Westminster Abbey
b) the Houses of Parliament
c) the Tower
d) Scotland Yard
10. Who founded the waxwork museum in London?
a) Madam Bovary
b) Madam Tussaud
c) Madam Curie
d) Madam Butterfly
11. The official residence of Queen is …
b) the Barbican Center
c) Buckingham Palace
d) St. James’s Palace
12. What is one of the two oldest universities cities of Great Britain?
b) New Haven
13. What is the longest river of the Great Britain?
14. What is the deepest river of Great Britain?
15. What is the highest peak in Great Britain?
b) Ben Nevis
16. What is the capital of Wales?
17. What is Heathrow?
a) the largest industrial center in Great Britain
b) the airport near Belfast
c) the largest London airport
d) the biggest seaport in Great Britain
18. What is the unit of currency in the UK?
19. Many banks and offices are located in …
b) the West End
c) the East End
d) the City
20. What is the capital of Northern Ireland?
21. What is the capital of Scotland?
22. What is the Union Jack?
a) flag of England
b) flag of the UK
c) flag of Wales
d) flag of the USA
23. Where are the Highlands situated?
24. Who built London?
a) the Britons
b) the Romans
c) the Angles
d) the Celts
25. … washes the west of the British Isles.
a) the Indian Ocean
b) the Atlantic Ocean
c) the Red Sea
d) the Pacific Ocean
26. What English poet and dramatist was actor of the theatre “The Globe”?
a) Oscar Wilde
b) William Shakespeare
c) Rudyard Kipling
d) Robert Burns
27. Who wrote the novel “Jane Eyre”?
a) William Shakespeare
b) Oscar Wilde
c) Robert Burns
d) Charlotte Bronte
28. What was Charles Chaplin?
It is called “Go on!” The task is to answer the questions at high speed. If you don’t know or don’t remember the answer, you should say “Go on!”, because your time is limited.
TOPIC: “HOLIDAYS TRADITION”
1. The day when sweethearts say beautiful and pleasant words to each other (St. Valentine’s Day)
2. The most important religious holiday (Easter)
3. During this holiday we honour the memory of those people who defeated our land against the fascists (Victory Day)
4. Where is the biggest Christmas Tree situated in London every year?
5. When do English people celebrate Halloween? (on 31 of October)
6. The day when the Ukrainians proclaimed their independence (The Day of Independence of Ukraine)
7. Where does Santa Clause put the presents to the children in Great Britain? (the stockings)
8. When is Christmas celebrated in Great Britain?
1. In this holiday ghosts and witches come out (Halloween)
2. What is Easter connected with? (With the feast of Christ resurrection)
3. In what month do we celebrate Women’s Day? (March)
4. When do we celebrate Independent Day? (On the 24th of August, 1991)
5. What are traditional dishes at Christmas dinner? (Stuffed turkey and Christmas pudding)
6. What do we celebrate on the 1st of September? (The day of knowledge)
7. Who comes together with Father Frost? (Snow Maiden)
8. What do the Ukrainians decorate before the New? (The New Year Tree)
Name 10 animals.
Name 10 articles of clothing.
Name 10 part of body and face.
Name 10 professions.
Name 10 holidays.
Name 10 vegetables.
TOPIC: EDUCATION IN UKRAINE AND ABROAD
1. At what age do Ukrainian children start going to school? (At the age of 6)
2. What kind of school do English pupils live and study at? (Boarding school)
3. What education is compulsory in Ukraine? (Secondary)
4. What age do English children start going to school? (At the age of 5)
5. What two stages is children’s education divided in Great Britain? (Primary and secondary)
6. How many terms does a school year consists of in Ukraine? ( 2 terms)
7. Until what age do the pupil stay at secondary school in Ukraine? (Until 16)
8. After finishing what form do Ukrainian pupils have their first exams? (The 9th form)
9. Name two types of secondary schools in Great Britain? (Grammar and comprehensive schools)
10. How long are summer holidays in Ukraine? (Tree months)
11. What school in Great Britain are for those children whose parents are rich people (Private school)
12. How long are summer holidays in Britain? (Six or seven weeks)
13. What language do we have to speak at our school? (Ukrainian)
14. Is the comprehensive system selective or non- selective? (Non – selective)
15. What do pupils have between every lesson? (Breaks)
16. When do Ukrainian pupils go to school after their summer holidays? (On the 1st of September)