Тема: Books are our friends. My favorite writer
Мета: організувати повторення та узагальнення лексичного та граматичного матеріала з теми; вдосконалювати мовні та мовленнєві навички; учити узагальнювати матеріал; виховувати любов до відомих світових письменників та бажання спілкуватися іноземною мовою.
Обладнання: комп’ютер, мультимедійний проектор, підручник.
Тип уроку: комбінований
I. Організаційний момент
I. Greeting. (Слайд 1)
T: Good morning, dear children. Glad to see you.
P: Good morning, dear teacher. Glad to see you too. How are you?
T: Fine, thanks. And what about you?
P: We are fine, thank you.
Things are getting better
With every passing day.
Every day in every way
We are getting better.
T: Who’s the most enthusiastic?
P: We are.
Who’s the smartest? We are.
Who’s the most creative? We are.
Who never gives up? We do.
T: Glad to see you in good health and mood. We have guests at our lesson. Please greet them.
P: Good morning. We are glad to see you.
T: Sit down.
II. Підготовка до сприйняття іншомовного мовлення.
The main task of our lesson is to summarize the information you have learnt about books. We’ll practice the word that you have learnt in the previous lessons, listen to the text and speak on it, enjoy the time of our communication and learning.
Nowadays there are quite a few people who think that as more and more people have television sets in their homes, fewer and fewer people will buy books and newspapers. However television has not killed reading. People all over the world are fond of books.
At our lesson we’ll speak about your reading preferences, your favorite books and characters. We shall review the “Golden Rules” of books. All in all we shall work, play and learn a lot of interesting things. I wish you good luck.
2.1. Speaking. Interactive exercise « Microphone ».
P: Answer my questions:
1. Are you fond of reading?
2. How much time do you spend on reading?
3. What kind of reading do you prefer: do you like reading books, newspapers and magazines?
4. When and where do you usually read?
5. Do you read books only for your World Literature or Ukrainian Literature classes?
6. Which Ukrainian and English writers do you know?
7. What does reading mean for you? Is it an important part of your life?
2.2. Working with cards.
T: Match the two halves of the sentences.
- The more you read a a body without soul
- A good book is b you choose a friend
- Choose an author as c a source of wisdom
- A room without a book is d the more you know
Сheck up the task:
The more you read the more you know.
2. A good book is a source of wisdom.
3. Choose an author as you choose a friend.
4. A room without a book is a body without soul.
2.3. Comment on the proverb: “Wear the old coat and buy the new book” Austin Phelps. (Слайд 2)
- What do you think about this proverb?
Is it right or wrong?
Which is more important for you: a new coat or a new book? Why?
T: I am sure that all of you like reading. Now I want to listen to your answers why we read books.
Use word combinations:
to receive information;
to broaden our mind;
to solve different problems;
to develop our personality;
to find important answers.
P1: We read books because they help us to broaden our mind.
P2: Books give us different information.
P3: Books are interesting and useful because they help to develop our personality.
P4: Books teach us to live.
P5: We can find answers on different questions in books.
T: You are right. A book is a main source of knowledge.
III.. Основна частина уроку
Look at the cards and find definitions: (Слайд 3)
author a) unreal events
message b) a very long story
novel c) to take
fiction d) a person, who likes to read
poem e) a kind of information
library f)a person, who writes something
to borrow g) a place with many books
reader h) a kind of literature
3.2. Play game “Kinds of literature”.
T: Take a piece of paper with the word which describes kind of literature. Give definition to it for other children to guess.
P1. It is a very funny story in pictures. (comics)
P2. You can find information about everything in it. (encyclopedia)
P3. It is a very long story (a novel).
P4. A children’s story in which magical things happen. (fairy tale)
P5. It is a story from ancient times. (myth).
T: You know many kinds of books. Let’s remember. Come to the blackboard and write the names of the books we’ve already learnt. (Слайд 4-7)
fairy tale non-fiction
3.4. Work in groups
Making posters on Golden Rules of Books.
Groups of 4 pupils complete rules about books :
What proverbs, sayings, and golden rules about books do you know?
• Books are our best friends.
• Books are our teachers and friends.
• Choose an author as you choose a friend.
• Never read while eating.
• You must not read in bed.
• Wash your hands before reading.
• Do not tear the pages of the book.
• Do not make marks on the pages with a pen or a pencil.
• Do not lose your book.
• A room without book is like a body without soul.
• Treat books with care as good friends.
• Use book marks to hold your place.
• Don’t turn a book upon its clear face.
• Return books to the library in time.
• Don’t make dogs’ ears in the book.
IV. Підбиття підсумків уроку.
T: 1. What was the topic of our lesson?
The motto of our lesson was “The more we read, the more we know” Do you agree with this motto?
T: Let’s do a mini-research on what you prefer to read.
At home find interesting facts about your favorite writer.