Read the text and do the tasks.
The first frozen desserts are known from the time of Alexander the Great in the fourth century BC. Legend says that this famous leader enjoyed icy drinks. People in China were eating ice cream, invented there in about 2000 BC. It reached Europe in about 1300 when the Italian traveller Marco Polo returned with recipes from the Far East.
When Marco Polo returned to Europe from China in 1295 he told of exotic kings who enjoyed this strange frozen dessert. To prove that his stories were true he produced recipes. By the year 1500, cream had been added to the recipes, and rich Italians couldn’t get enough cream-ice. Cream-ice was brought to France in 1533 with the help of Catherine de Medici of Italy.
By the 1700s, cafes specializing in ice cream had appeared all over Europe. But few regular citizens ever tasted ice cream for it was very expensive and only rich people could buy it. One invention brought ice cream into the lives of ordinary people: the refrigerator invented in 1803. Ice cream shops immediately spread across the country and soon ice cream could be bought every day. All could now enjoy what once was the food of the kings and presidents.
Task 1. Match the words.
Task 2. Translate into English.
1. Вершковий лід був привезений до Франції у тисяча п’ятсот тридцять третьому році завдяки Катерині де Медічі з Італії.
2. Легенда говорить, що цей відомий полководець дуже любив напої з льодом.
3. Один винахід приніс морозиво у життя простих людей: у 1803 році було винайдено холодильник.
4. Люди в Китаї їли морозиво, яке придумали тут біля 2000 року до нашої ери.
5. Всі тепер могли насолоджуватися тим, що колись було їжею королів та президентів.
Task 3. Find true and false sentences.
Task 4. Answer the questions.
1. When are the first frozen desserts known from?
2. Did Alexander the Great like icy drinks?
3. When was the ice cream invented in China?
4. Who returned to Europe from China in 1295?
5. Why did only few people taste ice – cream in Europe in 1700s?