Topic. The Youth Culture
Form of the lesson: integrated lesson
Facilities: video http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/starting-out/episode-03-what-do-you-doing, test-cards, pictures, text for reading with task, a box with coloured toys, stripes for feedback, glue, waste (old things), spray paint, rubber gloves, a coat, a computer, the texts of the songs and their video.
Age: 13 – 16
Plan of the lesson
Part of the lesson
Speaking. Youth cultures at the end of the XX century
Reading. Work in groups
Project work. DIY (Do It Yourself)
Teacher. One day Lailah Gifty Akita said, “When I was a child, I thought like a child. When I became adult, I seek a deeper understanding of life”.
This woman is a founder of Smart Youth Volunteers Organisation. And she knows all about young people. So today we also try to understand the life of youth in different times.
1.Speaking. Youth cultures at the end of the XX century.
Do you remember the youth cultures at the end of the XX century? Chose any toy and continue a sentence.
- If I were a Punk I would wear… (clothes that shock people)
- If I were a Punk I would live in… (the mid of 1970s)
- If I were a Punk I would listen to… (rock music)
- If I were a Rapper I would wear… (expensive clothes)
- If I were a Rapper I would live in… (1980s and 1990s)
- If I were a Rapper I would listen to… (rap music)
- If I were a Hippy I would wear… (second-hand clothes)
- If I were a Hippy I would live in… (1960s and 1970s)
- If I were a Hippy I would listen to… (pop music, piece-loving music)
- If I were a Rapper I wouldn’t listen to… (rock or pop music)
(in that way pupils divide into 3 groups according to the colour of toys)
2. Singing songs
And now let’s see how the music styles changed in the second part of the XX century.
(Children watch video and sing)
Let's rock, everybody, let's rock
Everybody in the whole cell block
Was a-dancing to the Jailhouse Rock
Spider Murphy played the tenor saxophone
Little Joe was blowing on the slide trombone
The drummer boy from Illinois went crash, boom, bang
The whole rhythm section was the Purple Gang
I see trees of green... red roses too
I see em bloom... for me and for you
And I think to myself... what a wonderful world...
When I find myself in times of trouble
Mother Mary comes to me,
Speaking words of wisdom -
Let it be.
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me,
Speaking words of wisdom -
Let it be.
Let it be, [x4]
Whisper words of wisdom -
Let it be.
Mama mia, here I go again
My my, how can I resist you?
Mama mia, does it show again?
My my, just how much I've missed you
Yes, I've been brokenhearted
Blue since the day we parted
Why, why did I ever let you go?
Mama mia, now I really know,
My my, I could never let you go.
Breakes on a bus, brakes on a car
Breaks to make you a superstar
Breaks to win and breaks to lose
But these here breaks will rock your shoes
And these are the breaks
Break it up, break it up, break it up!
Take on me,
I'll be gone
In a day
Once upon a time not long ago,
when people wore pajamas and lived life slow,
When laws were stern and justice stood,
and people were behavin' like they ought ta good
First things first
I'm gonna say all the words inside my head
I'm fired up and tired of the way that things have been, oh woo
The way that things have been, oh woo
Second thing second
Don't you tell me what you think that I could be
I'm the one at the sail, I'm the master of my sea, oh ooh
The master of my sea, oh ooh
3. Reading. Work in groups.
You have toys, so divide into 3 groups. What way can help you? Right! The colour and the shapes of these toys.
Look at the photos 1 – 3. Discuss what sort of life each of these people has.
And now read your texts and match them to the photos.
THE TEXT FOR 1 GROUP
THE TEXT FOR 2 GROUP
THE TEXT FOR 3 GROUP
Look through your texts again and tell me…
1. …makes money out of advertising?
2. …gets money without working?
3. …is shy?
4. …has writing a book?
5. …doesn’t like to show his/her feelings?
6. …likes adventure?
7. …has lots of people to do things for him/her?
Find words from the texts with a similar meaning. The letter can help you:
1. liked by a lot of people – p…
2. feeling nervous with other people – s…
3. talk a lot about your success – b…
1) Definitions of unknown words.
2) Photo (what will happen)
3) The first listening and watching a video
4) Are you right?
5) The second listening and watching a video
6) Doing the task
Boring – not interesting
-In my opinion the most (boring) book is that one.
-She would (probably) never see him again
-Then you (probably) need money.
-I've got a (boring) job in an office
-We’ll (probably) ask you to come in again tomorrow, so be ready.
6) Task 1:
Task 1 Watch the video. Put each activity in the correct group.
cinema cycling football museums opera running shopping
1. _________________ (cinema)
2. _________________ (football)
3. _________________ (running)
1. _________________ (cycling)
2. _________________ (museums)
3. _________________ (opera )
Sammy and Julia like:
Complete the sentences.
can't stand don't like don't like hate love loves
1. Julia: I ___________ running. (hate)
2. Sammy: I ___________ cycling. (don't like)
3. Sammy: My dad ___________ opera ... (loves)
4. Sammy: ... but I ___________ it. (can't stand)
5. Julia: I ___________ football. It's noisy and boring. (don't like)
6. Julia: I ___________ shopping! (love)
So what qualities does someone have to meet new people?
5. Project work. DIY (Do It Yourself)
Young people lived in all times, they communicated, they believed in great future. In that way they created something new to remember their life.
OK, my dears! Let’s make DIY! Do you know, what is this? (Do It Yourself)
Let’s create something new for example, a picture, instead of the old things. You will work with electricity equipment, so be careful using it.
You have some waste.
Pupils make a mind-map “Top 10” – “How to be successful in communicating”. Make some rules that can help you to meet new friends.