READING FORM 11 TERM 1
SANDY STRIKES….. 5th May What a terrible night! It was 11 o’clock and I was sleeping. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang. I realized it was thunder, and I jumped out of bed! I ran to the window and saw that it was raining heavily. The wind was blowing and the trees were swaying. Then, my mother came into my bedroom. She looked very shocked and she was shaking. ’’Hurricane Sandy is coming!’’ she cried. We ran downstairs into the basement where we were safe from the storm. The wind was so strong that the whole house was shaking. Outside, we could hear windows smashing. It was terrifying! 6th May We spent all of last night in the basement. When we finally came out in the morning, we were surprised by what we saw. The streets were flooded, there were power lines on the ground and our car lay under a fallen tree. All across town, the sirens of the emergency services were wailing while people were clearing up the mess in their homes and gardens. Luckily our house wasn’t too badly damaged. There was only some glass on the floor, and rubbish on our lawn. Thankfully, no one was hurt. As we were cleaning up the lawn, I suddenly heard a little yelp. It was coming from under the porch. I went to get a closer look and couldn’t believe my eyes! There before me was a tiny white puppy. It was shivering and covered in mud. When it saw me, it jumped into my arms. It’s such a miracle that this little dog survived such a terrible storm!
1. Read the text and choose the right answer A, B, C, D. 1.The writer woke up because of A. thunder. B. rain. C. wind. D. her mum’s voice. 2.While they were in the basement they felt A .safe. B. scared. C. surprised. D. lucky. 3.The writer was relieved that A. all her neighbours were safe. B. emergency services were close. C. the house was in good condition. D. a puppy survived the hurricane. 4. The author’s purpose is to A. explain how a disaster happened. B. describe a bad experience. C. inform us of a disaster. D. describe a surprising rescue.
2. Read the text and mark the sentences T (true) or F ( false) 1. It was 11 am . ……… 2. It was snowing heavily. ……. 3. They lived in the basement. ……… 4. ‘’Hurricane Katrina is coming!’’ she cried. ………
3. Read the text and answer the questions. 1. Why did the family go to the basement? 2. What effect did Sandy have on the town? 3. Was anyone hurt? 4. What was there under the porch?
4. Fill in the gaps with a verb: sway, blowing, shake, smash, wailing, clear up, shiver, survive. 1.The sirens of the emergency services were …. very loudly. 2. Everyone worked together to …. the streets after the storm. 3. The trees started to ….. in the wind. 4. The wind was …. hard. 5. Harry used a rock to ….. the window. 6. The earthquake caused the walls to …… . 7. We were lucky to …. such a huge storm! 8. Emma started to …. because she was cold.
5. Replace the words in bold with the following words: bang, shocked, luckily, cried, relieved, hurt, safe, rubbish. 1. No one was injured in the hurricane. 2. “It’s an earthquake!’’ she shouted. 3. There was a loud noise outside my window. 4. There was litter all over the street. 5. She looked scared and she was crying. 6. We felt calm when the storm was finally over. 7. They were protected from the storm in the basement. 8. Fortunately, the hurricane didn’t cause much damage to the area.
6. Fill in: heavily, power, loud, strong, services, smashing. 1. ………… bang 2. rain ………….. 3. ……….. wind 4. ……….. lines 5.emergency ……. 6. ……… windows