1. Copy the sentences and note if they refer to the present, past or future. Write the tense against each sentence.
Example: He cut his finger with a knife. (Simple Past)
1. He often cuts himself.
2. What time did John arrive?
3. I never forget anything.
4. Are you sitting comfortably?
5. We drank a lot of Coke at the party.
6. It was raining all night.
7. The train will leave in a few minutes.
8. I put on a clean shirt yesterday.
2. Put the following sentences into the correct tense: Simple Past, Simple Present, Present Continuous or Past Continuous, Present Perfect.
1. I ________ (listen) to the radio while Mary __________ (cook) dinner.
2. You __________ (buy) this book yesterday?
3. Last Friday Jill __________ (go) home early because she __________ (want) to see a film.
4. When your brother usually __________ (get) home in the evening?
5. Jane always __________ (bring) us a nice present.
6. What those people __________ (do) in the middle of the road?
7. You __________ (read) this book?
3. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense form (Present Simple, Present Perfect, Present Continuous, Past Simple, Past Continuous).
Alice ... (not to take) the bus to school every day.
Who is this man? I ... (to think) that I ... (to know) him, but I ... (to forget) his name.
The children ... (to have) a good time in the park yesterday. They ... (to give) small pieces of bread to the ducks. Then they ... (to take) pictures of themselves.
Where are the children? They ... (to watch) TV in the room now. Some minutes ago they ... (to play) a game.
Now I am in my class. I... (to sit) at my desk. I always ... (to sit) at the same desk.
4. Put the following sentences into the correct tense: Simple Past, Simple Present, Present Continuous or Past Continuous, Present Perfect.
While Fred __________ (sleep), Judy __________ (watch) TV. When I __________ (be) young, I __________ (think) Mary __________ (be) nice — but now I __________ (think) she’s fantastic.
Jill __________ (walk) home when she __________ (see) her husband’s car outside the cinema.
Look there! Sue and Tim __________ (run) to school.
Jack’s father __________ (not work) in London — he __________ (not speak) English.
Joe __________ (buy) a car yesterday.
Their father often __________ (go) to rock concerts.
While you __________ (sleep), mother __________ (arrive).