Lesson PLANNING 29
Topic « Is It Easy to Become a Champion? »
to encourage STDs to speak English
to develop skills of reading /speaking / listening
to practise STDs in dialogue making
to provide the opportunities for the comprehensive reading
to provide the opportunities for STDS’ relaxation
I. Introductory part T: Good morning, dear pupils! At the previous lesson we learned to exchange our thoughts on different sports activities and how to be successful in sports. What are we going to speak about today? I am sure, you are eager to know that. Today we’ll discuss whether it is easy to make your sports ambitions come true. I believe “ Ukrainian- English Ball ” will be a proper beginning for our lesson ( STDs review the vocabulary learned before).
1. Reading Comprehension a)Pre- Reading Open your books on page 50, please. Look at the pictures on this page. Who are these e-mails from? Do you think Mike is good at fencing ? What sport is Rosa fond of ?
b) While- Reading. True or False: 1) Mike enjoys chess. 2) The boy goes to the school gym three times a week. 3) His sister had few lessons yesterday.4) Mike goes fencing. 5) He never misses a football match. 6) Rosa played tennis much better than her cousin last summer. 7) Her cousin’s favourite tennis player is Steffi Graf. 8) Rosa’s dream is to visit Wimbledon one day.
c) Checking Comprehension ex. 2, p. 51.
2. Check on home assignment ex.5, p. 49.
3. A Minute for rest a) A song (English Irregular Rap).
b) CROSS AND NAUGHT (Vocabulary Reinforcement)
4. Interaction Post- Reading : Let’s imagine in three years Rosa’s dream to become a Wimbledon champion has come true. The girl has become so successful thanks to her persistent work and endless trainings. Read the text and complete the following ( A, B) questions and give answers for Rosa and her Mum.
Rosa is 15 years old. She is a typical schoolgirl except for one thing - she is a Wimbledon champion. Every day of the week, Rosa’s mother wakes her at 4.30 in the morning. She gets dressed and has her breakfast . Then her mother takes her to a local tennis court. At 5.30 o’ clock she practises with her trainer. From 6.30 to 7.30 she swims in the swimming pool. On Tuesday and Thursday Rosa doesn’t go swimming she practises in the gym. At 8.15 she every day she starts for school. On Wednesdays Rosa meets her fans, she travels from school to school and talks to students. On Saturday she doesn’t go to the gym or to the swimming pool that’s why Rosa stays in bed till 10 in the morning. On Fridays she doesn’t go to bed very early, because she goes to a disco with her best friends. But Sundays she has to go to bed at 7.30 to have a good sleep. Rosa says she doesn’t like Thursdays, because she has a medical check on this day. As you see it is not an easy task to be a champion, but still she feels happy.
A) Here are the questions to Rosa . Complete them. 1) When you / start playing tennis? 2) How long/ you practice every day? 3) The school teachers/ help you? 4) You/ ever meet Stefi Graf ? 5) Why / you practice in the gym? 6) / You watch TV? 7)How much time / you spend on your home tasks? 8) When / you practice in the swimming-pool? 9)Why/ you not like Thursdays? 10)What/ your trainer’s name? 11)Your trainer ever be a champion?
B) Rosa’s Mum is present at our lesson today, let’s her questions: 1) You/ travel with her? 2)You ever/ been/ to Wimbledon? 3) Rosa / phone you from the competitions? 4) / Your life change much since your daughter became a champion? 5) / You travel to the tennis court on your car or by train? 6) What / Rosa do on Wednesdays?
5. Vocabulary Reinforcement: WB ex. 1,p. 30.
6. Home assignment: a) WB ex. 2,p.30. Be ready to meet Boris at our next lesson. Prepare your own 4 questions to the boy. b) Next lesson we are going to write a short Grammar Test. Please, learn the forms of the irregular verbs on page 40, 48.
III.Summing –up: It’s been hard, but pleasant work today. I am so grateful to Rosa and her Mum, they could visit our lesson. Now you all see it is not easy to be a champion.