Read the text and do the tasks:
The Parrot Likes To Learn English
Andriy likes to learn English. Polly likes to learn English too. Polly is a nice big parrot. When Andriy does his English lessons Polly is in his room. The bird listens to the boy and repeats the words.
One day two girls come to see Andriy. They are Andriy’s friends. Polly see them and say in English:”Go away!” The girls know English. They don’t like the Polly’s words. They look at Andriy. He is angry with Polly. The boy asks it to stop talking. But Polly says and says: “Go away, go away!”
Then the girls say: ”Very well, let’s go!” They say “Good bye” to Andriy and Polly and go away.
Andriy doesn’t know what to do. Then he says: ” Polly, you should be nice with my friends. When they come, say, “How do you do, my friends? Come in, come in, please!”
Polly likes the words. It says them many times. Andriy listens to the bird and say: ”That’s right, that’s right!”
When Andriy’s friends come to see him again Polly says: ”How do you do, friends? Come in, come in, please!”
The girls like the Polly’s words very much. They say: ”Well, Polly, you are a good parrot.”
And Polly says:”That’s all right, that’s all right!”
Task 1. Match the words.
1. A parrot can speak a) діти знають англійську мову добре
2. likes to learn English b) подобається вивчати англійську
3. repeats angry words c) казати слово багато разів
4. to listen and repeat the English words d) гарний великий папуга
5. to be nice with friends e) діти приходять побачитися з ним
6. a beautiful big parrot f) просять припинити говорити
7. to say the word many times g) бути добрим до друзів
8. kids know English well h) папуга можe говорити
9. children come to see him i) слухати і повторювати англійські слова
10. ask to stop talking j) повторює сердиті слова
Task 2. Put sentences in the right order.
a) The boy asks it to stop talking.
b) They say: ”Well, Polly, you are a good parrot.”
c) The girls know English.
d) Andriy listens to the bird and say: ”That’s right, that’s right!”
e) One day two girls come to see Andriy.
f) They say “Good bye” to Andriy and Polly and go away.
g) Polly is a nice big parrot.
h) Andriy doesn’t know what to do.
Task 3. Find true (+) and false (-) sentences.
1) Andriy learns Italian at school.
2) Andriy likes to learn English.
3) Andriy doesn’t have a pet at home.
4) Polly is a nice big parrot.
5) Andriy never does homework.
6) When Andriy does his English lessons Polly is in his room.
7) Polly listens to Andriy and repeats the words.
8) The girls don’t like Polly’s words “Go away!”.
9) Andriy is angry because he doesn’t like Polly’s bad words.
10) Polly can’t say the words “How do you do, my friends”.
11) The boys say: ”Well, Polly, you are a good parrot”.
12) Polly is a smart parrot.
Task 4. Answer the questions on the text.
1) What is the name of this text?
2) Who are the heroes of this text?
3) What is the name of the boy?
4) What is the name of the bird?
5) Who is Polly?
6) What language can parrot Polly speak?
7) Who comes to Andriy’s flat?
8) What words can Polly say in English?
9) Is Polly a good bird? Why?
10) Do you like this text? Why?
11) Do you like to learn English? Why?
12) Do you have a pet? What is it? Do you like it?