10 topics for practising writing skills
1.You have seen an advertisement in the newspaper : “ A famous travel agency is looking for a guide to work with foreign tourists in Kyiv”. Write an e-mail to your friend and say:
- why you want to get this job;
- what personal qualities you have for this job;
-say the reasons for your friend to apply for this job too.
2. Your friend wants to have a pet but his/her parents aren’t fond of this idea. Write an e-mail to your friend and write :
-if you want to have a pet or you already have one;
- what pets are the most popular in Ukraine;
- give him/her some advice how to persuade his\her parents to get a pet.
3. You have got a letter from your friend in which he/she tells about winter holidays. He/she went skiing to the Alps with family. Tell him about your winter holidays:
- where and when you were ;
-who was with you and what you did/saw;
-what you liked most about this period.
4. You took part in a school event. Write a letter to your friend in which you tell him/her:
- the name of it and its description;
-the preparations for this event;
- what you did there and how many people were there.
5. You have received an e-mail from an English friend inviting you to spend New Year in England. With the help of your letter :
- thank him/her for inviting you and tell him/her why you can not come;
- describe New Year traditions in your family;
- invite your friend to come and visit you in spring.
6. You want to go on a cycling weekend in the mountains. Write an e-mail to your friend in which:
- you invite him/her to go with you;
- say where you are going to live and for how long;
- tell him/her what you can do there and why you want to go there.
7. You have asked your friend to help you with a school assignment recently and now you want to thank him/her. Write an e-mail to your friend and :
- say if your teacher was satisfied with it and what mark you got;
- invite your friend to celebrate ;
- say the date, place and describe the activities you can do
8. Your friend is crazy about shopping. But his/her parents don’t like it. They often have a conflict about it. Write a letter to your friend in which:
- say the reason of your quarrelling with parents and how you behave then;
- say your attitude to shopping and how often you do it;
- give him/her some advice how to make up with parents.
9.You have received a letter from your friend in which he\she complains that there has been a lot of rain in his\her region lately, so he\she has to spend much time indoors and feels bored there. Write the letter and tell:
- whether you have a lot of spare time at present and why;
-how you usually spend your time indoors;
-you advice how to make his\her stay more exciting.
10.You have received a letter from your pen-friend in which he\she writes that he\she has been playing volleyball for years. Now he\she has decided to start tennis. Write him\her back and say:
-whether you support his\her decision to take up one more kind of sport and why;
-what kinds of sport are popular with your friends;
-whether you do any sports or prefer watching sport programs on TV.