Choose the right variant.
1. I don’t remember ... that I’m sure you’re mistaken.
a) to say; b) say; c) saying; d) to have said.
2. There were two answers, and ... was right.
a) neither; b) no one; c) no; d) not any.
3. This dress is ... as the one I had before.
a) plenty the same; b) very similar; c) very same; d) much the same.
4. He ... here from 1955 to 1960.
a) worked; b) works; c) has been working; d) has worked.
5. He’s... his sister.
a) much taller that; b) much more taller than; c) much taller than; d) more taller than.
6. Be careful you don’t... your keys!
a) lost; b) loosen; c) lose; d) loose.
7. What they say may be true; you never can...
a) say; b) tell; c) remember; d) recognise.
8. He didn’t move, but just... where he fell.
a) lain; b) lay; c) laid; d) lied.
9. I haven’t had a reply to the invitation I sent you last week. ... to my patty?
a) Shall you come; b) Are you coming; c) Do you come; d) Should you come,
10. That man reminds me ... my history teacher.
a) from; b) of; c) about; d) on.
11. The children hadn’t met ... their grandparents or their uncle before.
a) or, b) neither; c) nor, d) either.
12. Before she started university, Jane ... in the States for six months working as a nanny.
a) lives; b) has been living; c) has lived; d) had lived.
13. He was ... tired to go on.
a) to; b) enough; c) so; d) too.
14. I ... saw Michael two years ago.
a) lastly; b) last time; c) last; d) the last time.
15. I like the red dress and the pink shoes. The trouble is that they don’t ...very well.
a) match not each other; b) match themselves; c) go with each other; d) go on with the other.
16. He’s as polite as his brother is ...polite. (подобрать префикс)
a) im; b) non; c) dis; d) un.
17. It’s been quite a long time ... I had a holiday abroad,
a) ago; b) since; c) for; d) when.
18. You ... pay for this information. It’s free.
a) oughtn’t to; b) don’t have to; c) shouldn’t to; d) mustn’t.
19. ... quite a lot of rain forecast for today.
a) It has; b) Is; c) It’s; d) There’s.
20. I’m free this evening. ... we go out to dinner?
a) Will; b) Would; c) Shall; d) Won’t.
21. I need a holiday, ... I?
a) need nоt; b) aren’t; c) don’t; d) need.
22. Most of the cattle ... under the trees.
a) is laying; b) is lying; c) are lying; d) are laying.
23. Children seem to find computers easy, but many adults aren’t used to ... with microtechnology.
a) work; b) working; c) a work; d) the work.
24. Parents were made ... the school reconstruction,
a) finance; b) to financing; c) to finance; d) financing.
25. The children have made lots of new friends since we ... to this town.
a) have moved; b) moving; c) moved; d) have been moved.
26. I don’t understand this sentence. Could you tell me what …?
a) this word means; b) means this word; c) does mean this word; d) does this word mean.
27. ... of the three boys got a prize,
a) A few; b) Both; c) Each; d) Every.
28. The agency intended to let each applicant... in the interview.
a) participate; b) to participate; c) so as to participate; d) participating.
29. All the children in this family are gifted, but this one is … gifted of all.
a) little; b) the less; c) the least; d) un- .
30. He enjoyed ... computer games at first, but after a while he got bored with them.
a) to play; b) playing; c) make play; d) having played.
31. We haven’t managed to meet... three years.
a) since; b) for; c) after; d) last.
32. Nothing is wrong,...?
a) can it; b) is it; c) isn’t it; d) can’t be.
33. A meeting of the society will be ... on Tuesday evening at 6 o’clock.
a) made; b) taken; c) held; d) placed.
34. May I apologize ... being so late?
a) myself for; b) for; c) -; d) myself.
35. All the furniture in this room ... antique.
a) are; b) are made of; c) have; d) is.
36. ... traffic in the city center.
a) There’s always many; b) It is always heavy; c) There’s always heavy; d) It is always much.
37. You’ll find the travel agency ... the end of the street.
a) by; b) in; c) on; d) at.
38. She ... the piano since she was ten.
a) has been playing; b) is playing; c) has played; d) had played.
39. Doing these exercises may be good ... me, but I hate every minute of it.
a) to; b) for; c) on; d) at.
40. She heard Miss Drake … that Ann was really happy.
a) tell; b) to tell; c) say; d) to say.
41. You have bought a FIAT. You ... a BMW.
a) should have bought; b) would have bought; c) had better buy; d) would rather have bought.
42. Poor Jack — he lost his homework, and he ... do it again,
a) needs; b) ought; c) shall; d) has to.
43. The food at the party was horrible, I’ve never eaten ... awful food!
a) such a; b) such; c) such an d) so.
44. “I’m not very hungry”. — “…”
a) Neither do I; b) I am; c) So am I; d) Nor I am.
45. The... from London to Bristol takes two hours by car.
a) travel; b) journey; c) voyage; d) driving.
46. Open the window, ... you?
a) must; b) need; c) will; d) do.
47. You must try not to ... so many mistakes.
a) do; b) tell; c) make; d) perform.
48. Helen asked me if... the film called “Star wars”.
a) have I seen; b) have you seen; c) had I seen; d) I had seen.
49. I promise that I... to work on time every morning in future,
a) get; b) am getting; c) will get; d) would get.
50. I’m not going to tell you the reason ... my decision,
a) to; b) with; c) on; d) for.
USE OF GRAMMAR answers.
1-c; 2-a; 3-d; 4-a; 5-c; 6-c; 7-b; 8-b; 9-b; 10-b; 11-d; 12-d; 13-d; 14-с; 15-с; 16-a; 17-b; 18-b; 19-d; 20-c; 21-c; 22-c; 23-b; 24-c; 25-c; 26 — a; 27-c; 28-a; 29-c; 30-b; 31-b; 32-b; 33-c; 34-b; 35-d; 36-c; 37-d; 38-a; 39-b; 40-c; 41-a; 42-d; 43-b; 44-b; 45-b; 46-c; 47-c; 48-d; 49-c; 50-d.