Подані нижче тренувальні вправи на правильність вживання фразових дієслів допоможуть вчителю на різних етапах роботи на уроці англійської мови. Теоретичний матеріал до кожного дієслова стане в нагоді при виконанні завдань.
e.g. Make sure you look after yourself. I don't want you to be ill due to this weather.
e.g. Looking ahead, I think the company really needs to develop new services.
e.g. One day we'll look back on this and laugh.
e.g. She looks down on anyone who hasn’t had a university education.
e.g. I’m looking for Jim. Have you seen him?
e.g. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.
7. Look into - to investigate
e.g. I wrote a letter of complaint, and the airline have promised to look into the matter.
e.g. It helps if older people have a nearby relative who will look in on them.
e.g. We’re not related but I look on him as a brother. I look on it as a challenge.
e.g. This building looks onto the square.
e.g. Look out! There's a car coming!
e.g. The police have warned shopkeepers to look out for forged notes.
e.g. He’d been looking over the leaflets he’d picked up earlier.
e.g. We arrived late, and didn't have much time to look round before dinner.
e.g. I’ve just been looking through your cookery books for inspiration.
e.g. If you don’t know the word, look it up in the dictionary.
e.g. He’s a role model for other players to look up to.
III. Fill in the gaps with necessary prepositions: after around away down for into out over through up
1. While you are hiking in the forest, you need to look……for rattlesnakes. They are often lying on the trails.
2. If you do not know his phone number, you can look it……. in the phone book.
3. The police are going to look …….. the recent robberies in the neighborhood. Hopefully, they will find the thief.
4. While he was looking……. the papers, he noticed a couple of spelling mistakes.
5. If you look…….the telescope, you can see the rings around Saturn.
6. Sandy is going to look…… the children while we are at the business dinner.
7. When there is an eclipse, you should look …….. from the sun. Looking at the sun can sometimes damage your eyes.
8. I lost my keys. Can you help me look …….them?
9. The lost child stood there in the middle of the store looking……. trying to find his parents.
10. She always looks …….. on people who don't agree with her. I think she is very arrogant.
1. Can you ………..my pet goldfish for a few days while I am away on holiday?
2. Children often……….to Christmas from November onwards.
3. If I try to read an English book, I get frustrated because I have to ……..
too many words in the dictionary.
4. The teacher was sacked because he had ………..
while two student were fighting and had done nothing to stop them.
5. My teacher ………my composition quickly before I gave it in just to see I had answered the question correctly.
6. ………. to tomorrow evening on Channel 4, we have a documentary about the Middle East.
7. Hank has always ………his Uncle Peter. He treats him like a hero.
8. If you are going to the supermarket, can you ……….. that new make of butter I was trying to find the other day.
9. I have been ……… my mobile phone all morning. I can't find it anywhere.
10. Police are ………… reports of a strange flying object last night. Many people are convinced it was a flying saucer.
1. Get sth across/ over - communicate, make understandable
e.g. I tried to get my point across/over to the judge but she wouldn't listen.
2. Get along/on - like each other
e.g. I was surprised how well my new girlfriend and my sister got along/on.
3. Get around - have mobility
e.g. My grandfather can get around fine in his new wheelchair.
4. Get away - go on a vacation
e.g. We worked so hard this year that we had to get away for a week.
5. Get away with sth - do without being noticed or punished
e.g. Jason always gets away with cheating in his maths tests.
6. Get back - return
e.g. We got back from our vacation last week.
7. Get sth back - receive sth you had before
e.g. Liz finally got her Science notes back from my room-mate.
8. Get back at sb - retaliate, take revenge
e.g. My sister got back at me for stealing her shoes. She stole my favourite hat.
9. Get back into sth - become interested in sth again
e.g. I finally got back into my novel and finished it.
10. Get on sth - step onto a vehicle
e.g. We're going to freeze out here if you don't let us get on the bus.
11. Get over sth - recover from an illness, loss, difficulty
e.g. I just got over the flu and now my sister has it.
12. Get over sth - overcome a problem
e.g. The company will have to close if it can't get over the new regulations.
13. Get round to sth - finally find time to do
e.g. I don't know when I am going to get round to writing the thank you cards.
14. Get together - meet (usually for social reasons)
e.g. Let's get together for a party this weekend.
15. Get up - get out of bed
e.g. I got up early today to study for my exam.
16. Get up - stand
e.g. You should get up and give the elderly man your seat.
e.g. They are never in; I always get their answerphone.
2. Be after - Try to find or get
e.g. The police are after him because of the theft.
3. Be along - arrive
e.g. The next bus should be along in the next quarter of an hour or so.
4. Be away - be elsewhere; on holiday, etc.
e.g. She's away on business for three weeks.
5. Be down - be depressed
e.g. He's been down since his partner left him.
6. Be fed up - be bored, upset or sick of something
e.g. I am fed up of his complaints.
7. Be off - be bad (of food)
e.g. This yoghurt must be off; it smells foul.
8. Be on - be functioning (of machines), be shown (performed)
e.g. The computer is on.
9. Be up to - be good enough, do usually something wrong
e.g. He's not up to the job; get someone else.
10. Be up for - be enthusiastic about an upcoming event
e.g. Are you up for the climb of Mt. Blanc?
11. Be over – to come to an end
e.g. Our lesson is over.
12. Be through with – to have finished (a relationship, job)
e.g. Why did you through with Sarah?
II. Match the phrasal verbs with their definitions.
1. M 2. O 3. N 4. B 5. Q 6. K 7. G 8. P 9. L 10. J 11. A 12. C 13. D 14. E 15. I 16. H 17. F
1. B 2. A 3. H 4. E 5. G 6. J 7. D 8. C 9. J 10. F