Тема: Grammar: Past Simple & Past Continuous
Вчити учнів отримувати й узагальнювати інформацію з почутого та прочитаного тексту, формувати вміння використовувати дану інформацію (часові форми дієслова) у власних висловлюваннях; удосконалювати вміння створювати власні діалоги-обговорення; повторити минулий простий час (Past Simple Tense) , вивчити минулий тривалий час (Past Continuous Tense)
Обладнання: Focus 2 (Student’s book and workbook), English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy (for intermediate students), the tables.
I. Greeting (2 min)
Good morning/afternoon dear students. Today we are going to learn Past Continuous and we are going to compare two tenses Past Simple and Past Continuous. At first let’s talk about E-Books.
II. Warm-up (8 min)
Open your student books on page 26. (Focus 2)
Ex.1 p. 26 In pairs, read what people say about e-books and printed books. Talk about some other advantages and disadvantages. (5 min)
Ex. 2 p. 26 Read about e-ink. Who was Joe Jacobson and why did he have a “Eureka” moment? (3 min)
In 1997 Joe Jacobson was working as a researcher for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). One summer, he went on holiday to the coast. He was lying on a beach when he finished his book. Unfortunately, he didn’t have another one with him. At that moment, he imagined an electronic book that he could download any time he wanted and read in direct sunlight. It was a ‘Eureka!’ moment. His vision became e-ink technology and helped develop the e-readers that we have today.
III. Grammar (8 min)
You use Past Continuous to talk about actions in progress in the past.
In 1997 Joe Jacobson was working as a researcher for MIT.
You often use the Past Continuous with the Past Simple in narrative situations, to talk about an action (Past Simple) which interrupted another action in progress in the past (Past Continuous).
He was lying on a beach when he finished his book.
Teacher gives students the tables (look appendix 1) and the students study the table
IV. Grammar practice (25 min)
Task 12.1 (Raymond Murphy “English Grammar in Use” for intermediate students) Here is a list of some things that Ann did yesterday (and the times at which she did them: (4 min)
1.8:45 – 9.15 had breakfast 4. 12:45 – 1:30 had lunch
2. 9:15 – 10:00 read the newspaper 5. 3:30 – 3:30 washed some clothes
3. 10:00 – 12:00 cleaned her flat 6. 4:00 – 6:00 watched television
Now write sentences saying what she was doing at these times:
1. At 9 o’clock she was having breakfast
2. At 9:30 she __________________________________________________
3. At 11 o’clock __________________________________________________
4. 12:45 – 1:30 o’clock ____________________________________________
5. 2:30 – 3:30 o’clock _____________________________________________
6. 4:00 – 6:00 o’clock _________________________________________
Task 12.3 (Raymond Murphy “English Grammar in Use” for intermediate students) Make sentences from the words in brackets. Put the verbs into the correct form, past simple or past continuous. (3 min)
Example: (I/fall/asleep when I/watch/television) I fell asleep when I was watching television.
1. (the phone/ring/when/ I/ have a shower) The phone _______________________
2. (it/begin/to rain when I/walk home) ___________________________________
3. (we/see/an accident when we/wait/for the bus) ___________________________
Task 12.4 (Raymond Murphy “English Grammar in Use” for intermediate students) Put the verb into the correct form, Past Continuous or Past Simple. (3 min)
Example: While Tom was cooking (cook) the dinner, the phone rang (ring).
1. George ________ (fall) off the ladder while he _________ (paint) the ceiling.
2. Last night I ____________ (read) in bed when suddenly I _____________ (hear) a scream.
3. ______________ (you /watch) television when I phoned you?
4. Ann __________________ (wait) for me when I _______________ (arrive).
5. I _________________ (not / drive) very fast when the accident ___________ (happen).
6. I ______________ (break) a plate last night. I _______________ (do) the washing up when it ______________ (slip) out of my and.
Ex. 4 p. 26 (Focus 2) Complete the opening paragraphs of two famous stories with the Past Simple or Past Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. (8 min)
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
It was a terrible stormy night six months after my father’s death. My mother was sitting (sit) alone by the fire, waiting for her baby to arrive. She ____________ (feel) sad and ill. Suddenly, she _____________ (hear) a noise outside. “There’s someone at the door, Peggotty”, my mother ___________ (call). “Who is it?” Peggotty was her servant and her only real friend. “I’ll go and see”, Peggotty ____________ (reply). She _______________ (go) and ______________ (open) the door.
Dracula by Bram Stoker
As the carriage moved quickly along the rough dry road, Jonathan Harker ____________ (look out) at the changing view. Behind him was a land of small green hills and colorful fields of fruit trees. Now he _________ (drive) into the Transylvanian mountains through a thick forest. It ______________ (get) dark and the other people in the carriage ____________ (be) quiet and afraid. A woman opposite him ____________ (reach) towards him and ___________ (put) something in his hand. It _____________ (be) a small, silver cross. “Wear it around your neck”, she said. “You’ll be safe”.
Ex. 6 p. 26 (Focus 2) Complete the sentences with the Past Simple or Past Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. Then write questions for the sentences. Then ask and answer the questions in pairs. (3 min)
1.My parents _________ (study) when they ________ (meet).
2. My computer _________ (crash) when I _____________ (do) my homework last night.
3. I __________ (watch) TV when my mum __________ (get) home yesterday.
4. It _________ (rain) when I ______________ (wake up) this morning.
5. I ____________ (burn) myself when I _______ (make) breakfast.
6. A friend ____________ (text) me when I ___________ (walk) to school.
Ex. 1 p. 113 (Focus 2) Choose the correct options. (4 min)
1. I lay/was lying on the beach when suddenly it started/was starting raining.
2. What did you do/were you doing when I called/was calling you at four o’clock this afternoon?
3. The first time I was seeing/saw my boyfriend, he danced/was dancing at a party.
4. We were having/ had lunch when the phone was ringing/rang.
5. It was a beautiful morning. I left/ was leaving home to go to work. Suddenly, the postman was knocking/knocked on the front door.
6. When my mother drove/was driving to work yesterday, she saw/was seeing her old friend from school.
7. Molly was breaking/broke her leg when she climbed/was climbing a tree.
8. Was Susan studying/ Did Susan study at 8 p. m. yesterday?
V. Homework (2 min)
1. Learn the grammar table
2. Workbook p. 22 Ex. 1-6